Growing ‘Technology Trees’ is a principal objective of the Kambria Foundation. Our unique advantage is that we already have robotics product in the market, and we will use it to jump-start the open innovation platform. OhmniLabs is licensing its technologies — software and hardware — to Kambria for its use in the development of the first vertical in AI & Robotics. But to grow our technology trees, we will have to work with our research partners. We are bringing technologies from top universities around the world to Kambria in exchange for tokens while allowing professors and students to continue their research and write papers. We are providing them with an additional commercialization stream without the need for them to leave/spin-off to start a new company. These academics, innovators, researchers make up the core developer community on our Kambria platform.
Interactions on the platform are facilitated by the Kambria Token (KAT). Universities can receive tokens (convertible to a currency of choice) for completing work that is commissioned by bounty challenges. Individual or teams are rewarded with tokens for designs or code they contribute. Tokens can also be used to fairly capture the value created by the Kambria platform and sustain the growing community.
- Open the Kambria community to the research universities by inviting members to learn about and join the Kambria community
- Jointly build technology labs equipped with robots, robotic parts, dev kit, 3D-printing capabilities, and others
- Educate research partners on Kambria community development model with real-time presentation and documentation
- Jointly create a learning module: Kambria will provide content, research partners will provide the methodology
- Share its knowledge of robotic technologies and development techniques by documenting Kambria state of the art technology and processes
- Assign attributions via the Kambria platform through its value capture protocol to ensure the fairness, transparency, and decentralization
- Co-host annual events such as hackathons, symposiums, conferences, etc.
- Keep research partners appraised of its business and technical progress through semi-annual briefings
Research Partner will:
- Jointly build technology labs by providing space and access to existing expertise
- Promote Kambria’s unique development model to its members and ensure that people are aware of the new community
- Jointly create a learning module: Kambria to provide content, research partner to provide methodology
- Monitor development program progress and communicate successes which will generate continued innovation and participation
- Provide feedback to Kambria on areas that will provide the most value
- Promote the projects and hackathons on Kambria to its members
Benefits to Research Partners:
- Access to state of the art robotic labs and technologies that can be leveraged in the development of advanced capabilities — focus on the core technology, not the required complex technical foundations
- Collaboration with developers within the worldwide community
- Lower costs so more budget dollars can be allocated to new research
- With Kambria’s token model, research partners can monetize developments that don’t necessarily result in a successful startup company
- Access to a large community of corporate partners who can help commercialize IPs of the research partner
Benefits to Kambria:
- Creates awareness of Kambria within the research community
- Kambria community becomes stronger with the participation of world leading researchers
- Scientific feedback on how to make the platform better, stronger, more valuable
This model enables a research partner to be rewarded for significant development even though it may not result in the formation of a company or the sale of intellectual property (IP). A technical challenge, financial shortcoming or loss of human resources can prevent the completion of a planned project — this happens all the time. But the innovations developed may still have tremendous value in their pieces. In the Kambria ecosystem, the pieces are monetized with the Kambria Token. In addition, contributed IP can be licensed to others in the community — often corporations who want to incorporate the IP in a larger solution. This can generate a sustained revenue stream for as long as it maintains its value. Kambria manages the entire process — negotiations, legal docs, etc — making it very easy to capitalize even without the needed business expertise.
The Kambria Team
KAT is sold to be used on the Kambria platform.